September 23, 2011

No goodbyes, Just see you later


Monday afternoon (my time), I got a text message from my sister saying that my uncle, Tito Hermie has passed away. It was a shocker as I was just talking to my dad 2 days before that text and was checking on Tito Hermie. For one, Tito Hermie is not sick. Old but not sick. He has downs syndrome and was already 52 years old. Doctors said his age times 2 is his physical age. For the past few months, it has been pretty bvious though that he is not his old self anymore. He eats less and would skip his weekly SM trip to watch a movie with my dad. He even for the first time in the middle of a movie asked my dad that they go home already as he was already tired. That is totally not him. He loves watching movies even if half of the time he sleeps through it.

Learning of something bad and being thousands of miles away is hard. Really hard and is one thing I have always feared. Not being with family in this difficult time is painful but I find comfort in knowing that my uncle is in a much better place. I wrote him a letter the day he died and I posted it over at Facebook but I thought I should post it here also to share with a handful of people who read my blog. I would like to share the life of my uncle who has downs syndrome but tried to live a normal life. He went to school, worked for more than half of his life at my other uncle's gasoline station and took care of himself with minimal assistance.


Dearest Tito Hermie,

I know that you are now at peace and reunited with nanay and tatay. I’m trying to force myself not to get sad but who would not get sad knowing that the next time we come home to the Philippines, hindi ka na mag-aabang sa akin at mag-aantay ng pasalubong mo. Wala na akong kukulitin na nagsara na ang SM and hindi ka na makakanuod ng sine na lagi mo naman sinasagot na sa Megamall ka na lang pupunta.

When I think of you, I’m reminded of so many good memories. Kung sa slumbook pa, too many to mention. Alam ko na lagi kita niloloko, but I know that you know na lambing ko lang yun sa’yo. Sabi mo nga diba na ako ang favorite mo. Ok, medyo tinuro ko yan sayo pero alam mo ko naman na yun din talaga ang iniisip mo. Kahit na minsan sinasabi mo na ang kulit ko. Pero alam ko, love mo din ako. Alam ko nasa heaven ka na and mas masaya dyan. Pwede ka na hindi mag diet and never ka din magkakagout :D

I’m sad and broken hearted because I won’t be able to say my final goodbye, see you later to you. I will always remember you and keep you close to my heart. Thank you for playing with Elijah when we were there. He loves you too and when he grows up I will show him your picture and tell him all about you. I will treasure ang huli nating kulitan a few hours before I left Manila wherein you proved to me na magaling ka talaga sa Math kasi alam mo ang difference ng twenty pesos and five hundred pesos.

Ma-miss ka naming lahat but it’s now time for you to rest. We are sad but at the same time we are reminded to celebrate your life. An extra-ordinary life. You’ve beaten all the odds. You are now reunited with not only Tatay, Nanay and Tito Gil but most importantly you are reunited with our Creator. You are a constant reminder of simple joys and that we need to live our lives to the fullest. Thank you for touching our lives and for being the best Uncle you could be to us. Ma-miss ka ng mga suki mong barbero and manicurista. Thank you for all the good memories, the Jollibee dates we had and the laughter.

I love you Tito Hermie...We love you!

Your favorite,
Macy

PS Naisip ko lang na ang pinaka-malungkot sa lahat ay sina Gary V, Victor Wood at April boy kasi nabawasan sila ng isang tagahanga. Loyal fan ka pa naman nila. PERO bongga ka na talaga kasi magkikita na kayo ni Michael Jackson at FPJ!

No comments: